Updated occasionally with projects, inspirations and ideas. Find my main site here discover more of my work. My favorite place to share updates is Instagram, follow me there.

Arnold Arboretum



If you're kicking around Boston looking for something to do, and the weather is nice, I highly recommend visiting the Arnold Arboretum. The Arboretum was established in 1872 when a portion of James Arnold's estate was transfered to the President and Fellows of Harvard College. In 1882, a lease agreement between the City of Boston and Harvard was established for 1,000 years; Harvard transfered the land to the City which then leased it back to Harvard. As part of this agreement the Arboretum became part of the "Emerald Necklace" designed by one of my favorites, Fredrick Law Olmstead. If you haven't yet, and will be in Brookline in 2010, you must visit the Olmstead house, more on that in later posts. 

One of my favorite parts of the Arboretum is the Larz Anderson Bonsai Collection. The trees look so delicate and precious en miniature. Bonsai is the art of aesthetic miniaturization of trees by growing them in containers. It takes patience and time. A lot of it actually. Which is why I am fascinated by bonsai, I don't think I'd have the patience for it! This collection was imported to the US in 1913 by Anderson after he served as ambassador to Japan. The bonsai range from 145 to 270 years old! 

There are many more trees, flowers and birds to see; I hope you're able to visit!

2 comments:

hoverblog said...

nice blog. glad you're well!

Tess Mattern said...

I've always wanted to check this out! Nice photos.