Updated occasionally with projects, inspirations and ideas. Find my main site here discover more of my work. My favorite place to share updates is Instagram, follow me there.

Green Line Tiles

The other day I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the Kenmore Square MBTA Station. The station has been under construction for what seems like forever to make it ADA accessible. I believe that work was supposed to be completed in November 2007...but it's still going on. I hadn't been through the station in awhile and things are, finally, really coming along. I was most surprised and happy about the new green tile along the walls:




The colors are so vibrant and fun. I love the face lift the station is getting and look forward to when it's finally done. I even made my own little color montage:


The redesign is being done by urban designer
DiMella Shaffer (check out their website if you have a chance, it's pretty flashy):






From their site: "DiMella Shaffer's soaring steel and glass canopy of the new Kenmore Station bus terminal creates a beautiful juxtaposition to the ornate, more traditional facades along Commonwealth Avenue and allows a view across the square for the first time since the 1970s."

I love all of the beautification projects that have been going on in various T stations and along Commonwealth Avenue. Before, the greenery sort of stopped around the Massachusetts Avenue area, now it's extending all the way down past the BU Bridge. It makes my walks to work much, much more enjoyable and scenic. Kudos to the city, the MBTA, BU and all the other organizations that are making these improvements possible. Finally people are seeing the err of their big roads and concrete ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree - the improvements to this part of the Green Line have been a long time coming, and - so far - they seem to be worth the wait. Hopefully the City of Boston and the Mass Pike will show similar ability to beautify public space as they complete the Rose Kennedy Greenway on the roof of the Big Dig. Of course, a North Station-South Station connector would have been nice as part of that monster project, but I guess you can't have it all!

Will