Updated occasionally with projects, inspirations and ideas. Find my main site here discover more of my work. My favorite place to share updates is Instagram, follow me there.

Touchdown!

The inevitable talk this Monday morning will be the great, or not so great, Superbowl commercials. Or how fantasticlly AWESOME Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is. Stop me before I buy concert tickets again! Since I'm a designer I'll save this morning for the Superbowl logo:


I think it suits the occasion pretty well. It's not my favorite logo out there though. I think it's the font at the bottom, call me a purist but I'm just not a fan of that stylized type. It was designed by Landor Associates in San Francisco.

I started on this blog thanks to my friends over at
Crew Design who led me to this Fifth Down blog from the NY Times for a Superbowl logo contest. From the Times slideshow of professional designers, the second one, by Pentagram, is my favorite:
I like the simple, clean feel and the silhouettes. No surprise there! I also like the retro, nostalgic feel. In hard times like these, who couldn't use that?

The first comment under the blog post is pretty intense, the poster doesn't seem to think non-designers should be designing a logo. The Times hasn't posted the non-professional designs but I'm waiting with bated breath. I kind of lean towards the school of thought that if there is something out there that gets people trying their hands at something creative: then go for it. Just don't swipe a job from me and under charge clients. It's a disservice to the profession. That is to say, when it comes down to it, like in most fields, the best work is left to the professionals.

Two other related articles to check out are
this on the history of the logo and this one on the background of this year's logo. (In sports commentator voice) It's good!

1 comment:

Tess Mattern said...

You know what, I do like the Superbowl Logo for this reason: it fits its audience. It might not be my style, but if I were to design a football logo it would probably be out of touch with the aesthetics of most NFL fans (who are used to seeing the slick and masculine logos of pro teams). But I very much like the retro logo, personally!