Updated occasionally with projects, inspirations and ideas. Find my main site here discover more of my work. My favorite place to share updates is Instagram, follow me there.

Bikes and Art

Tree With Yellow Blossoms by Cai Guo-Qiang

Now what do I do? The Tour is over and I'm in withdrawal. I really, really enjoyed all of the coverage this year and learning more about cycling. I've even been reading all about what's happening now with all the riders. New obsession? Possibly. A lot of the excitement over this year's race was because of Lance Armstrong's comeback. One of the great results of his comeback is the STAGES initiative, an art show that benefits
The Lance Armstrong Foundation with the support of Nike and Trek bikes. The goal is to heighten global awareness of cancer by engaging the creative community in the fight. The show is on now at the Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin in Paris but will be coming stateside this fall, first New York then LA. I'd really like to see the show because I love the idea of sport and art crisscrossing for a great cause.

Untitled, 2009 by Christopher Wool

In addition to artwork on display at the show, specially designed bikes by
Trek were made for several different races; they were done by:

KAWS (Brian Donnelly)



Marc Newson (bike ridden in the opening Tour de France time trial)

Yoshitomo Nara (ridden at the Annecy time trial)

And last but not least my favorite bike out of the bunch by Damien Hirst. I love this bike because it looks so striking and different. After reading more, I found that Hirst used REAL butterflies. Oh my! That sounds about right for Hirst though. All of the bikes will be auctioned off on October 2 in NYC.


For more on STAGES, check out
Trek's site, the STAGES site and this article. Be sure to check out Trek's Flickr feed too, they have AMAZING shots of all the bikes.

No comments: