Updated occasionally with projects, inspirations and ideas. Find my main site here discover more of my work. My favorite place to share updates is Instagram, follow me there.

2016 Olympics: Where Will They Be?

I'm here waiting impatiently for the announcement of where the 2016 Olympics will be held: Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro or Tokyo. I am an Olympic fiend (those of you who know me, understand, thank you for that) and cannot wait for the upcoming winter Olympics in Vancouver. I watch it all, seriously, thank goodness for Tivo.

I of course have been following the bids for the 2016 and all the political uproar around them. You know what I say? Blah, blah, blah, let the athletes compete! The majority of the athletes that participate don't have million dollar contracts and are doing it out of love, dedication and hard work. What could be better? Oh yes, add on top of that my fascination with Olympic graphic design. I still have a 1980 Lake Placid poster with
Roni the Racoon and commemorative pins- heart! Love that color blocking:

I've also been on a quest for something Schuss from the 1968 Grenoble, France Olympics. When I lived in Grenoble my apartment building was a converted athlete village. You can imagine how that made me feel!I always wanted to be an Olympian...since that isn't going to happen, I'm going to be champion of this blog. And since the topic is the Olympics, check out this site for a summary on how each city compares and below for the logos. Which do you like?


I prefer either the Chicago logo or the Tokyo logo. It think that Madrid and Rio's are whimsical and fun but maybe too much so. The Rio logo seems very current but it kind of reminds me of the Stop and Shop and Walmart logos. It seems like the kind of logo that would be on yogurt packaging or something. High five to Madrid! It's fun but very child-like, I'd like to wave goodbye to that. I like Tokyo because it has some movement and the first thing that came to mind is that we're all tied together. I also like the rising sun, nice touch. I like Chicago the most though. I think it's classy, shows some movement and is something that would stand the test of time.
This site has a great summary of the Chicago logos (see below).

As for where I'd love the games to be held: Rio. Vamos my friends! I think it would be great to have the games in a new part of the world. As of 9:30 Colorado time, the odds are on Brazil...can't wait until 11! I'm going to have to start liking that logo. Because of my Olympic fandom, I'm sure I'll be swept up in it all and be won over, after all it is a heart. And, I heart design...

Interestingly enough this was the original Chicago logo that had to be replaced because it infringed upon the official Olympic torch logo:
I like this too! Darn rules. Both of the Chicago logos were designed by VSA Partners, Chicago Office. Love, love, love.

EEK! It's almost 10 and the votes are in although the BIG announcement won't be for a bit still. Best logo Chicago: out! Second best logo Tokyo: out! Now it's between Rio and Madrid...

No comments: